I think the teaching of reading and math has become more and more mechanical. The learning and comprehension is an organic process and I always have trouble agreeing with the way that these things are broken down into a few dozens of items that a teacher can check off on a list. It's like they are building a machine. Same with math.

In our elementary school, I know some teachers tie the assessment of reading levels with what they are prepared to let the kids read. So, if a 2rd grade teacher only intends to let kids read the "just right" books for 2nd grade, she would test the kids only with the checklist for 2nd grade. Then on the report card you will see your kid, who has read HP books in 1st grade, reads at "end of 2nd grade" level--because that's how far the testing went. Then the teacher will give your kid 2nd grade books because "according to the assessment your kid is reading at the end of 2nd grade level".

Parents do know a lot about where their kids reading levels are. I remember one parent, when DS was in K, asked me what books DS read. I said that he was reading history books on the Civil War, the first and second World Wars, etc.. Then she said: "OK, I see the difference now. My kid can also 'read' those books. He knows how to pronounce the words. But there is no way he'd actually understand what these books are talking about".

I just don't think teachers necessarily always know more about education than parents, just because they have a certificate. Teachers know more about ongoing educational theories and standard practices, but how good these theories and practices are is still a question.