Originally Posted by ultramarina
I don't mean to be a huge jerk, but I will note the age of the author's kids--4 and 18 months, was it? She may be a teacher, but her own children are not (probably-- I imagine the 4yo would be encouraged to stop if he/she did read!) of reading age yet and she doesn't have the understanding of what it is to have one's own child reader and how this process can evolve in the home.

I wondered this too so obviously you're not a jerk wink.
I remember when my DS was fluently reading at 3, friends just not believing we'd hadn't hothoused him, that he was completely self taught. At the time (DS was our first) I couldn't understand their incredulity but my next 2 were both still emergent readers in kinder. I can understand now how unless you've experienced the true self taught early reader it's really unlikely you'll get it. So different from a kid who has been taught to read at an early age where they are decoding for parental reward rather than an intrinsic desire to know. I think the author doesn't get it.

As for not always comprehending everything, particularly in a classic, for me one of the joys of reading is to go back and re read favorites. I'm continuously surprised by how my life experiences make me re evaluate stories I've loved and see them in a new light. I often think did I really get this when I was x? Heh perhaps I'm a failed early reader who only gets the gist of the text.

As for 'Sarah' I'd say the school failed her if they weren't doing regular comprehension checks. It's not a problem with early reading more a problem of poor teaching.

Edited to add: why is Harry Potter held up as the great example of early reading. DS 8 has been stuck for around 2 years now in the 3rd book - not because it's scary, it just doesn't do it for him. He's read far more challenging books though.

Last edited by freya; 04/09/14 05:33 AM.