About using the "smart" word, we do not do it. I agree with that the kids, at the right time, need to know what they are about. They already know they are different and I would rather be the one explaining their differences to them than THEM putting their own spin on it. The problem I have with "smart" is that it is tossed around to ALL kids. Seems every kid out there is called smart at one point. What does that tell our "way out there" kiddos. That they still ARE like the other kids? Confusing to say the least. I totally agree with the confidence issue. I have a 6 year old calling himself stupid when he doesn't get a problem the very FIRST time in 6th GRADE EPGY math....

I actually ended up bringing out the report from the psychologist that tested him. I didn't show him the actual score, but I let him read the comments. It really changed his opinion about himself. I was desperate and not 100% sure this was the right thing to do at this age, but in the end, I think I made the right choice.

Other than that, we always praise work, and trying ones best. Any success we attribute to trying hard and sticking with it.