Honestly, I'd give it up. It sounds like the scholarships have already been decided for this summer. If you want to pursue it, the next thing I'd do is go in and talk to the orchestra teacher in person. You've done everything that makes sense via email, and you've had no responses from anyone. Taking it to a higher level in email may only annoy the teacher, and this is just your ds' first year at middle school.

I'm also not so sure I'd jump to the conclusion that they are ignoring your ds or skipping over him or not doing their job - they may have experiences under their belt that you're not aware of. Maybe there are scholarship requirements that they knew your ds wouldn't meet, maybe they actually applied for a scholarship and he didn't get one. Maybe the teacher nominated a different student who he knows is economically disadvantaged and would benefit from the program. Or the teacher could be a complete jerk about the whole thing... but you really won't know until you talk to him in person.

FWIW, our school district staff responds to emails when it's "safe" to respond, but if an answer that a parent is looking for in any way might be controversial or suggest that the school should act on something etc... the teachers always pull the parents aside to answer (at school) or call at home. They are very cautious about what they will put in writing in an email.

Is this summer program something your ds can participate in without having a scholarship? If it's fun and engaging and he wants to do it, I hope he has a chance to.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 03/26/14 07:05 PM.