Hello again,

I've become aware that the two county student orchestras that my son participated in (January and March) offer scholarships for summer study for his grade level. At one of the concerts, a child was presented with a scholarship on stage. In the booklet were names of other children and their grades/districts and the scholarship they had been granted. So anyway I became aware of all this 2.5 weeks ago. I emailed my son's school orchestra teacher asking for scholarship info, applications, any deadlines, etc. No response. A week after that, I emailed the MS/HS chairperson, with same question. No response. So late last week I followed up again with the orchestra teacher, including my concern not to miss any deadlines. Again, no response.

I've become aware that the school music dept is supposed to make families aware of scholarships and provide them with the applications. While waiting for their response, I checked the websites of the county orchestras, hoping to find scholarship applications. None, no links either. This confirms that the schools are the liaisons, as they are members of these county orchestra organizations (all players represent various school districts).

So I'm a bit angry, but don't want to come across like an irate parent. The 3 emails I sent were friendly and professional. So I don't understand this lack of courtesy of response, as well as not being provided the info I'm asking for. I've never had this experience with any of my son's other teachers, ever. I also suspect they are not responding because they know they dropped the ball and all deadlines have passed for summer scholarships.

Please help me understand what to do, and how to approach them. I'm angry about this but obviously I have to be careful about what I say and what I ask for... Thanks so much.