Originally Posted by Galaxy Girl
I often feel that something is going on with DS8 that I haven't discovered yet, if that makes sense. I don't even know how to describe it. I don't know if it's just giftededness or gifted + ADD, or both of those plus something else.... I guess it's like your sense of a "subtle learning difference" with your daughter and not knowing what it is. I would feel silly bringing it up with anyone at school because, like your daughter, DS is a very successful student.

The first response of her MD and IQ tester is it looks like ADD. It's not that I am opposed to that label and meds, but rather than accepting the default DX, I wanted to rule out other possibilities. (The Conner's scale where she came out borderline with us was not enough "proof").

My concern when she was in first grade was that we couldn't determine if this would be a problem for her because the bar was so low that her performance on grade level academics was not a valid predictor of future preformance (when she met a challenge). Also, we were told by a non-district professional that gifted kids with LD usually did well (based on prior knowledge and compensation) until 4th, 5th,or 6th grade. Now that she has passed those grades without problems, I am more relaxed. Still a bit concerned about high school in two years though!