Originally Posted by Mom2Two
I'm very curious about grade skipping. In that, if you skipped a grade, did you do it because there were problems that might fixed with a grade skip (behavior, mentally checking out, etc.) or because you had a perfect student with perfect grades. Or, was there another reason?

Early entry-- kind of-- my DD was homeschooled for K and then entered 3rd grade as a 6yo in the middle of the following year. She did all of the third grade curriculum in about six weeks, and then followed up with 4th and 5th grade the year following that. She officially remained a "5th" grader the following fall with a 6th grade placement, and this continued into high school, where it ceased to matter and once we realized that she was outstripping even what AP courses could offer her, we completed that grade skip (9th to 11th). This has been what is tolerable and what places her in the top 10% in her weakest areas-- executive function (she is 3-4y younger than classmates), and written work. I'm not necessarily suggesting that this placement strategy is a GOOD idea, just explaining the logic of it. This way we have to ask for relatively few curriculum adjustments. We've learned the hard way that enrichment is best conducted as a covert, don't-ask-don't-tell kind of thing. DD has studied psychology, sociology, and other topics on the side.

My second question is did the issues resolve after the grade skip? Or if life was "perfect," did issues arrive after the skip?

No, not really. Oh, sure-- for a time, they get better through novelty alone, but then (IME) HG+ kids tend to rise to the challenge fairly quickly, and the advantage is lost again and it can be time for another "jump" in difficulty, which schools often resist.
Thanks for your help in satisfying my curiosity. Yes, I have a grade skipper, and I'm just reflecting on "issues."

NO problem.

Our experiences with our DD (likely PG) are nicely summarized by Dude's explanation of their observations. She tends NOT to engage with teachers for fear of "bothering" them, and to assume that SHE is wrong, not the teacher or the rubric/key.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/04/14 09:58 AM. Reason: I can has grammar

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.