I think a lot of what you are seeing is pretty common for kids with ASDs. Other people (strangers, as far as your son is concerned) are not going to "get" him or understand the scope of what's going on in his head. That's why it's so important to get together a good team of professionals around him and stay consistent with his treatment. He will eventually begin to see them as trustworthy and open up to them. Honestly, I wouldn't even engage with any of them on the academic front at this point. He's not in school in any real sense of the word yet. They are likely only testing him on the handful of things they test all 3-4 year olds on. (Count to 100 for me, what color is this? etc.) They aren't going to continue testing him until they reach the end of his knowledge - they simply want to know what box to check on their eval form (child knows 0-5, child knows up to 20, child knows up to blah, end of options.)

If you and your kiddo don't like/trust the team you've got now, work towards getting together one you both do like and trust.

~amy