You poor thing! I know it can be really isolating when trying to deal with the issues faced by our children due to their giftedness. When schools don't appear to have the slightest level of understanding as to the complexities involved it's completely disheartening. These people are the professionals, right? But don't lose hope. Sometimes it just takes talking to the right person to have things start to move, the trouble is it often takes a long time to find out who the right person is!
Do you mind me asking what state you're in? Some of the states have quite active Gifted Childrens' Associations who would be a good first point of contact & could give you an insight into how things work in the education system in your state. They also provide an opportunity for you to meet with other parents if you're able to get along to some of the organised activities. You do really need to have people to share with, which is why boards like this are so valuable. I don't often get to contribute, simply because I feel like with the time zone lag I'm joining a conversation when it's already finished, but I'm always grateful to read of other parents experiencing the same sort of trials & tribulations (& joys) as I'm facing with my children, and have learned a lot from the advice offered.
Don't be afraid to keep pushing the school until you have a situation that suits your child. Sometimes that may just not be possible at that particular school & you might need to consider other options, but your child's happinness & achievement will be your guide. And what works this year will not necessarily work next year, so be prepared for change!

Cassandra