Originally Posted by DeeDee
I will add that if you're thinking dysgraphia, that word can also be too narrow. We have one who is not technically dysgraphic, but sure looks like it-- it's actually Developmental Coordination Disorder and ADHD that cause most of his issues.

ITA with DeeDee - I only mentioned the dysgraphia-specific pieces of my ds' eval above, but fwiw, the fine motor issues that result in his dysgraphia are actually due to Developmental Coordination Disorder. DS has a dysgraphia diagnosis, but it's DCD that best defines his overall set of challenges.

FWIW, when my ds was still struggling in the classroom without appropriate accommodations and remediation he often zoned out - he's told me since then that the issue was when he was sitting during writing sessions with no idea what to put on the paper and/or when his hands hurt from writing he had nothing to do and no idea where to start, so anything and everything else in the classroom would distract him - he'd start thinking about some really goofy things! There were times when it felt like the chicken-egg thing with advocating for him - we knew he was distracted because he didn't know what to do, and the school claimed he didn't know what to do because he was zoning out. Once we had handwriting accommodations in place and were able to give him specific instructions in writing the daydream-zoning-distraction issues disappeared.

He does get very fatigued, both by the physical part of handwriting and because of the enormous amount of brain work and concentration it takes him to write legibly when he has to use handwriting. My dyslexic dd gets incredibly fatigued from reading - really, I think we all get fatigued from having to work at things that are difficult to us. The letters you mentioned above were the toughest letters for my ds to write correctly when he was your ds' age.

polarbear