I'm still wondering about dysgraphia for DD. I took her to an OT who gave her the BOT for fine motor (which tests coordination as well as visual-motor ability, copying patterns, etc). And she did fine. But when you look at her writing, like copying spelling words, she makes tons of errors. She catches them though, and writes over the errors. She doesn't like to erase. So it looks like a mess. There are some letters or words that she writes over about 5 times.
I was talking about this to the OT so she told her to write the alphabet. With some letters she hesitated a few seconds like she was trying to figure out how to write them. Or she would start writing them, do it wrong, stop, and write over them. Her handwriting does look very neat when she is trying, so it is very inconsistent.
The OT didn't seem to think her alphabet writing was abnormal in any way, although it didn't look normal to me. So we are back at square 1.
Her coding score on the WISC was an 8 so there was something like a 60 point gap between processing speed and GAI.
The 504 coordinator for the building wants to write a 504 for processing speed, but just have modifications like increased time to do work. I don't know if this is sufficient if the problem is dysgraphia.
One of the other OTs told me that if you trace a number or letter on the back of a child and ask them what you wrote (with your finger) a child with dysgraphia would have trouble figuring it out. DD didn't have trouble. Not sure how "accurate" that test is.