Personally, I don't think you should hide your gifts. I'm not gifted myself, teach my young son that everyone has things that they do well, and we should notice those qualities in others with appreciation. For instance, a friend may be an excellent artist, or may be especially kind.

At a young age, we talk about context. For instance, if you're in the first grade and working on hard math problems, it's okay, and it's okay if others notice (we don't have to hide). It's also okay if someone asks you what you're working on in math, and you answer honestly.

Bragging and showing off is what happens out of context- the need to "one up" another person with our abilities, or to describe our abilities on the playground or in the lunchroom when it's not being discussed. We say in our house "smart is as smart does." People notice our skills and intelligence, by what we contribute, not by what we say about ourselves.

If people are intimidated by your intellect it truly is their problem. If your intellect is something that you use against other people to make them feel inadequate (for instance, belittling or berating others who may not "get it" as fast as you), then it's something you would want to change.

You seem sincere and kind- my thoughts are that we can be humble without hiding our abilities to fit in or to make others feel more comfortable.