that is so good to hear, ColinsMum - i really don't want DD to miss anything and i really am hoping that she'll swing back around again. she has SO much time - i'm really alarmed by her pace these days - i feel like i barely even knew her before.

with homeschool, i can (and do) assign things that are more "age-appropriate" - i'm very conscious that i've messed her up badly by reading to her at her comprehension level her entire life. her teachers were very clear with me about that last year, and i guess i'm reaping what i've sown. it's just the reading-for-pleasure side that i have to be careful - no point in getting a bunch of things she's never going to finish.

small update: we started a family book project yesterday (read/discuss/track), and DD just pulled down a bunch of old picture books so she can get off to a fast start. if handled delicately, this might be a nice way for her to get into some of the books she might otherwise miss - but i'll have to keep an eye out so it doesn't just become a numbers game for her. the book project is not supposed to be competitive, but... this is, after all, the kid who this very morning turned a simple Math Lab on Probability into a cut-throat contest amongst values in her data set. (sigh)

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 01/02/14 12:55 PM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.