I have to agree with Howler Monkey. I've got a 2e pg 8-yr-old ds. I'm homeschooling him now. It's the lesser of two evils from my perspective. Ds can learn at his own pace and speed.

He's been in two gifted schools - one traditional/ structured; the other more Montessori and unstructured. Neither one could accommodate him because he's not a extrinsically motivated child or a high achiever. He hated the workbooks and the drill-and-kill approach and yet detested being kept in addition with the unstructured gifted school since he couldn't mastered the timed addition facts in kindy with the math program (xtramath.org) and didn't want to stick out like a sore thumb by zooming ahead either.

The math is going to be a big problem. It's been that way for us with schools. These kids are capable of gaining knowledge by osmosis, it seems. The rate and speed of acceleration can be breathtaking and they can quickly surpass what is taught in high school or college within a very short time. So then, it's a case of what exactly do you do and, unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you at the moment except that obviously 99.9% of schools cannot cope with that kind of student.

If you have child who is very advanced in just math, then it's somewhat easier. I knew someone in high school who fell under that category. He took calculus 3 or something when he was 14-yrs-old at an Ivy, which was within close proximity. Still, that's a bit different than an 8- or 10-yr-old who is capable of doing that or more across multiple subjects.