ElizabethN, these recommendations are the best early Christmas presents for both DD and me. Thank you so much for thinking of DD. We picked up both a Bubba and Beau book and the original Oliver Pig story, illustrated by Lobel. We only got to Bubba and Beau as she also wanted to re-read her Rainbow Fairy books (beginning chapter book version) but DD recognized the illustration from Mr. Putter right away and wanted to read it over and over and over. We haven't gotten to Oliver Pig but the illustrations are beautiful.

GHS, I hear you and on top of everything else, I have SO saying things like "Oh, as long as she practices (music/ballet/handwriting/etc) for a few minutes, she'll figure out the rest while she sleeps" right in front of her. Grrrrrr.

Those level 1 Pinkalicious and Fancy Nancy readers are actually hard to read; IMO, not that much easier than level 2 Frog and Toad and alike. Have you tried the level 2 Rainbow Magic books? They have color illustrations throughout the book like picture books but the readability of text is somewhere between Fancy Nancy and real chapter books. If she can read the Young Cam Jansen books, she can definitely read them but then she might end up getting hooked on Rainbow Magic Fairy series which go on and on forever!