Thank you everyone for helping me problem solve this ongoing dilemma. I should have mentioned that DD has recently rediscovered Mother Goose and finally wants to read fairy tales and folklores. So developmentally, she seems to be in a very different place than Magic Tree House and A to Z mysteries. When she is ready and interested, she'll probably devour both series and I'm all for reading materials that build general knowledge and I don't think everything she reads has to be literacy masterpieces. We've tried Cam Jensen, Rainbow Fairies, the Lighthouse series by Rylant (DD said "Mommy, this is nothing like Henry and Mudge. This books is really, really sad."), and a few others but she hasn't really taken to any of them. She loved Charlotte's Web but we had to put it away after a major meltdown; she couldn't handle the emotional ups and downs.

I wasn't aware that Date DiCammilo had series for younger readers. We found a few at the library today so we'll give them a try. I know I'd enjoy them regardless of DD's reaction. smile

One series DD loves that is super fun for me is Dodsworth; it is kind-hearted and packed with a sense of adventure. So I know there are appropriate books that capture DD's imagination out there but it's a lot of investment of time and effort hunting them down so all the suggestions and help are very much appreciated!