Both of my kids are much higher with the perceptual reasoning index on the WISC than verbal. DD scored 153 with extended norms. DS appears to have a photographic memory (or something close to it)--how many 6 year olds know the exact shape of Idaho or any other state and can draw it from memory?
I'm not sure how it's going to play out in a gifted program where the focus will probably be on writing and reading. DS is very strong in math along with the visual-spatial skills, but he is quirky and 2e.

The pscyh who gave DD the WISC wrote a lot about visual spatial learners in the report with a lot of links and info for us and the school--but I doubt anyone from the school would actually check any of those references or try to tailor a program to her needs. DS's neuropsych also said something in his report about the high perceptual reasoning score and how he may struggle in a traditional school setting. Right now he is doing ok--he is about 2.5 years ahead or grade level in reading and 3 in math--but the gap will probably close at some point for reading.