We have threads about this quite often - it's fascinating to compare experiences I guess - so you might want to search (google works better than the site's own search). I think it's fair to say that any rule you might make has exceptions - e.g. we certainly have PG children talked about here who didn't read early - but generally their childhoods can be made sense of looking back. But then, humans are good at spotting patterns even when they aren't there... Fwiw, mine was a late talker, early reader, and now excels academically. We have not tested as it doesn't seem helpful (though in the US there are schools for which you have to, and some people find it helpful for other reasons too). There's nothing a tester can tell you that's as valuable as you knowing your child. It's never too soon to think about education options and think "what if" your child has particular needs, but it's important to keep an open mind about how things may change too.

PS Take Ruf's levels with a large pinch of salt - they're based on anecdata not science, it seems.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail