Originally Posted by jack'smom
Our school district requires a 96th percentile or above on the OLSAT in third grade. They rank the kids by scores; my son got a 99 on all 3 parts (total, language, math). However, only kids with a 97-98% or above could actually get in, since they don't have enough spots.
This year, they now do a lottery to get in, so if you have 96% or above, you go into the lottery.
It runs one grade level ahead in math and, for my son, two grade levels ahead in vocab, more writing. At least it is something.

I hate the lottery system. Places should be allocated on qualification/need not chance. How can it be fairer if everyone who qualifies gets an equal chance if some with a fsiq > 99.9 misses out while someone at 96 gets in?

How about we allocate for special needs the same way. We will give an aide to someone who has a mildish impairment but not to the person with severe autism. I would not necessarily be against that for sport though. Everyone who wants to play in the top grade and can pass a fitness test and a basic achievement test for ball skills could be eligible for the lottery. The first (15 for rugby, 11 for soccer etc) drawn would be the starting lineup and the next x number the reserves. Sports are far too important for that sort of nonsense though I guess.

Last edited by puffin; 11/16/13 11:51 PM.