Originally Posted by blackcat
I suspect there are a lot of kids in gifted programs who have average intelligence but have adults in their lives (in the school or at home), who do a very good job of teaching advanced concepts... I don't think kids should be penalized for not having that.
On another recent thread hothousing high-achievement was discussed, compared, and contrasted with giftedness. While hot-housed, high-achieving kids may be in some gifted programs, a system of both aptitude and achievement qualification criteria such as you've described in your district may limit that?

Anecdotally, I'm aware of many gifted kids who far surpass their parents and other family members. They quiz, doodle, theorize, invent, read, research online, visit the library and check out books on the most unlikely topics, ask unending questions, create lists of more questions, and there is no stopping them for lack of large-scale opportunity, mentor, or parent with advanced degree.

True, while following their own instincts for learning, these kids may accumulate non-traditional, esoteric knowledge and information which is not screened for on achievement tests. Again, this is where a portfolio may be of use.