Blackcat, would your DD be up for tutoring? My DS really likes his math tutoring. And I feel better with him getting it because many US math programs are so deficient anyway (we're not as bad as everyday math but we have envision, which I am told is not a bad as 'everyday math' but not good) . I have to say my DS still does it even though this year he did qualify for the advanced math group (maybe due to the tutoring?) as the advanced group is only twice a week and not much more advanced according to DS. The only thing that kind-of bugs me is that I have to pay tutoring charges and the school will get the credit anyway for the standardized test scores. (Speaking of that, and as an aside, I was thinking about all of the afterschooling/tutoring that goes in this district and the immigrant populations must have recognized right away the math was deficient b/c they all get their kids tutored in math, too; and, then, the school's state scores are "high!" But are they high b/c the school does a good job? I am not so sure - I think they are high b/c all of the people in this district have the means to get their kids taught properly when the school can't or won't. Everyday math, envision math, whatever - it doesn't matter b/c the majority of the kids in this district will learn math and score pretty well b/c none of these parents are gonna let their just 'get by' ykwim? anyway, just a digression).

Now that DS has the IQ scores and the achievement scores (regardless that he gets the achievement scores form being taught outside of school) things are better. I send in more advanced worksheets for DS to do in class. Teacher makes DS only do a few problems b/c she knows he knows the work and then lets him move on, etc. He has math pull-out twice a week. Now that he has the "scores" the presumptions seemed to have shifted, you know? It's a bit nicer.

Of course we haven't had the Parent/Teacher conference yet! LOL!