Originally Posted by Ametrine
DS (Now married/committed relationship) comes home from a long day at the office and his DW/D? has made a gourmet dinner after her long day...

So, teach him how to cook! wink

I'm only being partly cheeky because, for DH and I (both gifted), the sources of our conflict are the most mundane aspects of our existence: chores, banking, family visits. Frankly, we share religious, political, and economic views and are close in intelligence, so there's little friction to be had. How Canadian!

To my thinking, giftedness allows better application of logic, perspective taking, and reason to interpersonal conflict. It may be that gifted-gifted (or gifted-NT) marriages face the same conflicts as NT-NT relationships, but the spouse(s) are better equipped to foresee problems or address them systematically as they arise, which could account for the findings of the study you linked.

My initial hypothesis is that the satisfaction in a marriage doesn't come so much from similarity but from the perception that your spouse loves and respects you, and vice-versa. That love probably transcends political, economic, and intellectual differences and explains some of the wild departures we see from assortative pairing.

Frankly, a large part of my husband's initial appeal was his brilliant mind. Talking to my husband is the one true time when I feel "home". I am one of those individuals for whom a close intellectual match is necessary.

What is to give light must endure burning.