good points everyone. I guess my concern is how to use the information. Take the magnet school for highly gifted, for example. GAI 133 (for DS) whereas full scale IQ was more like 126. The 133 score probably shows his ability to understand the material, but the 126 probably shows his ability to actually perform the work. In a few years, assuming his scores stay the same, he could get into the program based on 133 but does he really belong there? Or are the deficits going to cause a child to struggle so much that it's detrimental to them? Also, his strength is in non-verbal, not verbal and there is a discrepancy there as well.
I was just talking to another mom about this this morning. Her 4th grader is in the gifted magnet school and we were talking about DD and her ADHD and speed issues. I'm pretty sure DD is bright enough to do the work. But maybe not in a timely fashion. So is that the best place for her if the majority of the kids don't have discrepancies or weaknesses like that? If not, than what IS the best place for her? The normal classroom where she would do grade level work for the most part?