A related question about 504 plans... I can not understand what is legally an accommodation and what is legally a curriculum modification that would require a IEP.

DSs school says any "modification" requires an IEP. To the teacher (or what she has said verbally) this means that DS should complete all individual assignments. For example that if they all write the spelling words out in a list every day that DS must do that also.

For dysgraphia or ADHD maybe extra time on assigments and tests might be an accommodation, correct? For dysgraphia paper with larger line spacing would be an accommodation.

But how about with the daily spelling words (normally written) would doing them verbally instead of writing them be a modification of the curriculum or would it be a simple accommodation under a 504. Does anyone know where might I find legal precedent for that? Or that specifically mentioned in a government issued guidance document?

And then has anyone any experience with anything akin to frustration or invisible pain as something that is accommodated by 504? For example limiting the total amount of reading practice in the day because of headache due to eyestrain in a child with visual difficulty? Or limiting the total amount of writing per day due to muscle tiredness? I'm looking just at 504s right now.

Hopefully I am not stealing the thread with this.