I tried to do a search for a topic this might fit into but really didn't see anything so here goes. My DD9 was just diagnosed with an anxiety disorder today. It manifests in perfectionism, strict adherence to schedules, test anxieties and shyness with select mutism. She's been in counseling but finally got into the psychiatrist to find out what other steps needed to be taken. He put her on 10 mg generic Prozac once a day. Is this a "normal" solution to anxiety and are there any other children this age on Prozac. I hate to be nosey but I am new to this situation.

DD9 has been in gifted pullout classes for 2 years at her school but last year spent two months on homebound due to anxieties. She was allowed to go into school for the 30 minutes of gifted class everyday and her gifted teacher was her homebound teacher as well. I believe that two months really helped her "reset" herself to deal with the anxieties this year and is doing much better along with the counseling. I have heard some scary things about some of the medications out there and was wondering if it is best just to go with the counseling. I am very confused about all of this. Any information would be wonderful.

Last edited by Cassmo451; 10/26/13 12:07 AM.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor