I'd start by looking at which behaviors seem GLOBAL rather than situational.

THEN-- of the diagnoses related to those seemingly global issues-- which "fit" and were obtained under, well, reasonably legitimate circumstances?

Following that, does that fit what your gut tells you?

we followed up with the tester, who felt the gap was not significant, merely an effect of his tuning out at the end of the test. We kept an eye on DS and when last spring he became increasingly anxious, particularly at school despite a sweetheart teacher and low-demand curriculum, we began probing deeper as well as starting therapy for the anxiety.

We spoke to his sister’s neurologist, who ordered an EEG (normal) and an audiology screening (significant figure-ground and attentional difficulties) and diagnosed ADHD. Given his WISC scores and anxiety, she said we should on no account consider medication; rather start Fast ForWord for the auditory issues, start lifestyle interventions (Omega-3s, protein, martial arts, etc.), get him happier in school and see her in November. All of that has been on target; we are seeing good results from Fast ForWord, from the lifestyle changes, and from increasing structure and reducing stress in our home.

At about the same time, DS’s therapist recommended a full neuropsych screening with his partner. He initially felt that DS was exhibiting “ADHD-like behaviors fueled by anxiety” and mitigating the anxiety would reduce the behaviors. DS scored high for anxiety on the intake questionnaires, no other conditions.

It sounds like the initial diagnosis (right or wrong) and the interventions you're using are working.

Yes?

If so, I'd give that more time, myself. Is it anxiety? Or is it ADHD? Well, maybe it's one or the other, and maybe it's asynchrony and OE that he's growing into, YK? In any case, maybe it doesn't matter as long as what you're doing is helping, and that DOES seem to be the case.

It sounds like that gap COULD be nothing-- and that the tester felt that this was almost certainly the explanation.

The rest seems dauntingly non-specific and contradictory, but maybe I'm missing something.

When I volunteer in the school he seems happy and well-behaved, and the anxiety seems to be significantly reduced. Still, he complains that school is boring and there are some tears around homework. There is no gifted program or tracking before middle school so any accommodations will have to be individually negotiated. At home, he is happy, loving, and cheerful as long as not pushed outside his comfort zone. We still see unexpected explosions once or twice a week, but we seem to be on a clear upward trend.

I mean this with all respect-- but-- this sounds actually sort of like normal behavior for a gifted 7yo with some intensity-- what am I missing?

What exactly are you going to get out of a 504 plan? It doesn't sound as though (beyond the initial things that you've been doing with lifestyle mods) you have a lot to go on in terms of the "right" interventions to use.

I'm not understanding what accommodations are going to do in terms of reducing barriers in the classroom. It sounds like aside from his WISC scores and a probable need for additional challenge (which can be tricksy with ADHD/anxiety in the picture, as I'm sure you're aware), he's getting his needs met rather well at this point.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.