Originally Posted by Polly
He has a DCD and hypotonia diagnosis.

My DS had a hypotonia diagnosis last year... this year we found out the cause of the hypotonia is Ehlers Danlos so we have replaced the dx with that and hypotonia is described as one of the symptoms. However, I did a lot of advocating and educating last year that 1) hypotonia is neurological-based, physcial disability; and, most importantly, 2) a kid with hypotonia actually has a physical pain in his hands, wrists, posture etc. when writing (ie. so, my kid can possibly write "on grade level" for a short time but to require that of him all day is unbearable). Your child really needs a scribe and computer access for a phsyical medical condition. The hypotonia is not going to be remediated away ( DS's teacher last year thought she could "push" DS and remediate him right up to being on par with the others... unfortunately, that is not how it works and getting her and the school to understand that was a difficult process... and basically it's like saying a kid's eyesight will get better if we keep preventing him from wearing his glasses). Your son's school needs to understand that. With my son's school I took the approach that this is a physical medical condition (it is!) and it is not going away - he needs writing accommodations just like a parapelegic needs a wheelchair - period. Yes, you can make a parapalegic army crawl on the floor to get around and he can do that for a short time but what kind of effect does that have on his learning, his emotional and psychological state?

DS's teacher last year was slowly taking away my son's accommodations (b/c she thought she could get him 'on par with his peers' in a few months despite his having a neurological/neuromuscular and what we later found out was a connective tissue condition) and, as she did, he began to slowly deteriorate emotionally and behaviors started to appear (instead of realizing his deteriorating behavior was connected to him being denied needed accommodations, she thought he needed social skills group) (as an aside, that is an example of blindsiding I was hit with at a meeting: "DS is no longer behaving, he needs social skills group, etc., and oh by the way he is writing just as much as his peers now and he doesn't get his scribing accommodation! So, we'll just take those accommodations out, don't want to short-change him! Okay moving on...") When I found out about her 'plan' I immediately put a stop to it and once he started getting his scribing accomodations consistently again he began to "behave well" again.

Also, it sounds like our guys are similar (gifted with hypotonioa and DCD); although my guy is not nearly as gifted as your guy, which really makes me feel for your guy b/c my DS was soooo frustrated having a high IQ and not being able to physically keep up due to writing/fatigue etc and to "look" not-so-smart (and be treated like he is "bad' and cognitively impaired) b/c he can't show what he knows via writing, etc. - it was really very devastating for him. With an IQ of 160 you DS is really suffering a severe bottleneck with no accommodations for his DCD and hypotonia. frown

Last edited by Irena; 10/16/13 05:54 AM.