Originally Posted by master of none
One more thing, how do they KNOW the level of writing? There are some standardized tests, but have they done them? I ask because years ago when we tried for an IEP and they said DS was grade level, we pointed out his very low writing scores on the TOWL and a few other tests, and they said that they only use achievement tests in the main areas of math and reading so there is no way to determine that he is below grade level. And that was the truth. Written expression and handwriting were not given levels at the school. Does your school actually give a level, or is this teacher judgment? If teacher judgment, then how is it made? And here you can add any info about dysgraphia or his specific condition so she can begin to think about it while looking at him.—I don’t know if you’ll be able to get this far, but I said things like “yes, we were told that at this age, it’s hard to tell unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Reversals are normal of course, but do you see how he draws the letter differently every time? That shows he isn’t getting memorizing the motor sequence……. Doubt you’ll get this far, but might want to be prepared in case they go there.

Yes watch this! I was told DS is "pretty much fine" and on grade level over and over. It was sickening, really. I finally brought in two OT evals, from two different places, in two different states, one from a well-renowned childrens' hospital that showed him TWO YEARS DELAYED in writing. They NEVER told me he was okay again.

Last edited by Irena; 10/15/13 02:59 PM.