Originally Posted by polarbear
So yes, a score near-average on PSI or WM isn't in and of itself something to be concerned about, but most of us who are posting here with kids who have high VCI/PRI and "average" PSI/WM also have other concerns - our kids are either struggling with schoolwork, behavior issues, etc - and there is something that's up that's behind those challenges. Whatever it is that's behind the issues will sometimes cause a PSI or WM score to be low relative to other scores, and although it's not the *cause* of the issue, it's often the first "data" showing there is an issue and the dip in scores can be very significant. The issue isn't an "average" PSI/WM, the issue is a challenge which is *reflected* in a dip in PSI/WM.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to say, more eloquently than I probably would have said it.

I'm not even convinced that the low PSI is not the cause of the issue in many cases. Or, more specifically, the VCI-PRI/PSI mismatch. When your brain can do the work but you can't formulate it into words and spit them out fast enough, it can be enormously challenging to deal with.