Originally Posted by Hils
Originally Posted by polarbear
The other thing you noted was that "he does generally well at grade level". I think most of us here would expect a child who has a VCI of 140 and a PRI of 133, and who *wasn't* dealing with an unaccommodated LD to be working "really well" and "above grade level".

polarbear

Good point polarbear, our DS7 (we tested last year because he was miserable in 1st grade) has a similar GAI but much higher PSI and WMI. He coasts through school, even with a grade skip.

It's just hard to get the school to acknowledge a gap- hopefully this independent testing will help us get somewhere. On the standardized tests (CA- CST) he scores advanced in language arts and high proficient in math, so if there aren't major behavior issues, they have said they have no reason to test unless there is a huge gap between performance and ability.

Sounds like we should move forward with further testing- great if the school will do it. Who can evaluate a vision issue? I know I had visual processing issues as a kid and went through a year of eye therapy. An ophthalmologist caught it - I was very farsighted and slipped through routine exams at school and with an optometrist. We took him for an exam through our Naval hospital- wondering if they missed something important?

Another BIG question- DS9 had a very rough delivery. They induced 3 weeks early because they thought that he was not growing well at the end of pregnancy. (I measured small and an ultrasound seemed to confirm the low weight). The induction caused heart deceleration even before they started pitocin. Long story short, it was a very fast delivery and his Apgar at 1 min was 2, at 5 min up to 9. Every so often, I stew over it because it turned out that they were completely off with his weight estimation. He was over 6 lbs, three weeks early so the induction was completely necessary. Anyone know if there are studies about what parts of the brain are most impacted by birth trauma? Could that have any relation to his slow procession and working memory?

Having heard lots of simulate stories I've come to the conclusion that actually they can't tell the size of the baby with ultrasound any better than a midwife can with a tape measure. I also know from personal experience they can't tell gestation very well either.