Love the idea jar, doubtfulguest. Totally going to steal that one. If I paid her a quarter for every idea, she would be a millionaire smile
So here is the chat I had with her yesterday night:
Me: DD, ever since you started school,you seem to be not as calm as before at home. What is going on? Can I help you with something?
DD: Well, mom, there are two problems. One problem is that some kids like me cannot sit still, they get very bored when they are just sitting. I don't like sitting in one place at home.
Me: What can we do to help you with that?
DD: Well, you can play with me and we can do things together.
Me: Easy enough! We can do more of that. What is the second problem?
DD: I love school. I really do. But when I am there all day, I start to miss you. If you send me for just half days, that would be okay. (Long pause). Actually, that won't work because I have art and drama in the afternoon and I do like those classes. Maybe I can go tues, wed, and thurs full day and stay at home with you on mon and fri and go to home school. But let us not do this plan this week because I have class trip on friday and I don't want to miss that.
Me: okay, I like the 3 full day idea. I will talk to your dad about this and then all three of us can discuss and come up with a good solution that works for everyone.
DD: Thanks mom. I love you.

PS. I felt so good and so teary eyed at the same time. This is my kid. Never one to throw tantrums. Always able to use words and logic to address problems. I felt like I was so wound up with her sudden change in behavior, I had forgotten how to reach her. So glad we did this.