Here is a post describing the extra work that needs to be done, perhaps by the parent, for a homeschooled student to apply to college. The author is a college professor but still calls it "daunting". OTOH, at the Well Trained Mind forum, there are lots of mothers of homeschoolers who have helped their children navigate through college admissions.

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/common-app-transcript/
Gas station without pumps (blog)
2013 September 22
Common App transcript

As a homeschool parent, I have to do all the “school” parts of the Common App and other college applications, which means I have about as much work to do in filling out college applications as my son does.

The Common App was completely re-implemented this year, which means that there are piles of bugs, poor or non-existent documentation, and a very harried support staff. Basically, everyone is pretty much on their own to figure out how to get stuff done—the interface is far from intuitive. I posted earlier about how a home-school parent gets to become the counselor, but that only gets access—figuring out how to fill out all the parts of the application is still daunting.

There are three main things the home school parent needs to create:

* school profile,
* transcript, and
* counselor’s letter.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell