But I think that Kai's point still stands-- neither you NOR anyone else has an especially good idea how your district's "Honors World Civ" class stacks up against John Q Smith Academy's, or Saint Android Preparatory School's.

So it's the same problem, really, that colleges CLAIM entitles them to all sorts of other additional measures of performance in the case of homeschooled students.

Honestly... my DD's unweighted GPA isn't as high as for some of her peers. On the other hand, her SAT scores are far higher, and she and we are not especially thrilled with her performance that day. Her scores certainly don't reflect superscoring and multiple attempts.

So how should colleges interpret that?

I can say what I think it means, and why her math grades are often the areas where she's had "low" grades (A-'s, occasionally) and how that is probably an unfair comparison to B&M schoolmates who have had the benefit of partial credit, a more forgiving pace of instruction, formative assessments and real instruction on a regular basis, but who would even care or believe me? Nobody, that's who. Her courses are those that most of her older peers find BRUISING. Way harder in many ways that those offered in the local B&M schools. That's why her SAT scores top those of her peers with similar GPA's.

We don't spend that much time worrying about it, of course-- because elite admissions isn't our game, really. But if it WERE, that would sure be a sticky issue for me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.