Here we have Performance Series which is similar to MAPS and the kids have to score in the 98th-99th percentile in both math AND reading in order to have a decent shot of getting into the GATE school (sometime within the last year of application). So I understand your frustration--depending on the school, it can be an important test. My dd (also 7) is taking math today and I found myself compulsively asking her math questions this morning to see if she remembers certain math concepts. I told her to make sure she actually eats her lunch today rather than throwing it out, told her to double check her answers before submitting, etc. Last year at this time she was on meds that didn't work for her ADHD and turned her into a lethargic zombie at school. The teacher called me alarmed the very day that she took the reading test, saying that DD was staring into space, arranging her crayons into a pyramid, and not doing any work at all. Yet that score, which was clearly given to her on probably her worst day of the entire year, is now part of her record. Frustrating.