Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
You mentioned your DD now spends most of her day in the G/T pull-out - is this entirely for math, how long is the pull-out, and how many days a week? I'm pretty sure one of the rules of my DD's pull-out is that she doesn't have to make up what she misses from the regular classroom. Now there have been times she has done the missed work anyway, but she doesn't have to.

There are two pull-outs, each with a different teacher. One is ELA, and the other is math. It's 5 days a week, for a combined 3:45.

DD does not have to do any math or ELA in her homeroom, but she's responsible for science and social studies, since that's the only way she'd get that.

How flexible is your G/T teacher's schedule? Maybe she could rearrange her time to allow your DD to at least catch the beginning or tail end of SS. If the pull-out is every day, could she skip one day a week to give your DD some time in the regular classroom with the other subjects?

The schedule is not flexible at all for the teachers, since they take different grade levels at different times of the day.

We were given the option of pulling her out of G/T math, but she'd be responsible for keeping up with what she misses there. That's why we figure she's better served maximizing her G/T time and keeping up with the other subjects at home... it takes so much less effort to keep up with things missed in the homeroom than in G/T.

I figure if I'm helping her with social studies at home, we can easily keep pace with just one hour's discussion per week. She'll probably get more out of that than 4 hours in homeroom.

If the G/T pull-out is a substantial amount of time, could they work on some other subjects while she is there?

I've noted that she's getting a lot of social studies in ELA. They're currently reading historical fiction set in WWII. Today she was learning about Jewish traditions. It seems to me they could easily overlap math and science while they were at it, too.

Unfortunately, she's still required to know what's on the state assessment exam, and there's nothing about WWII on there. Nice going, NCLB.