Originally Posted by ultramarina
Playground and lunch seem like typical PS stuff. Annoying, but things to live with and adjust to.

I'm more than annoyed. Something like 75% of the school is on free/reduced lunches (they're VERY aggressive about signing people up... they nearly forced DW to apply), and the kids are basically throwing all those taxpayer dollars into the trash. They're not getting adequate exercise at recess, and they're not getting adequate time to eat. How on earth are they expected to learn?

Originally Posted by ultramarina
Why doesn't she get pulled out for math during MATH?

Because they've never made ANY attempts to synchronize the G/T pull-outs and the homeroom. Every year we've had to contact them about a major scheduling conflict, and ask for remediation, which they half-heartedly do.

There's also the issue that DD does math far longer than her class does. We would basically be asking them to cut the thing she loves most. They'd also still expect DD to keep up with the math in G/T. It'll be much easier for her to independently keep up with the glacial pace of the sciences in homeroom than to keep up with the G/T math.

She is present for about 3.5 days of each week's science time in homeroom, so she's doing better there (I think... I haven't actually seen any papers yet). Social studies is a complete miss.