Originally Posted by master of none
Have you tried getting MORE involved?

When he talks about homeschool vs school, you can remind him that at school, he'd be coloring pages of the letter P. Would he like some of that work?

MoN-Yes, more involved is what he needs I sense; it is just that it is draining to keep up with him mind! In fact, I really think this is the crux of the problem - he doesn't really want to work out of books or curriculum - he wants total involvement, where everything has an elaborate presentation, or profound meaning, or isn't just another part of the slow building process of learning. He needs me to be super active with him - he needs so much more social than we are currently getting (Our current rural situation has not been the best for any of us). And yes, I have tried the would you like to be doing what your K friends are doing in school today, learning the alphabet, counting to 100..whatever? (Just so others know, this might have been a really bad idea, because, he does have good friends who are in K, and I don't need him putting them down, but I do need to emphasize to him why K would be a bad idea for him.) As far as laying out what we are doing each day, I set up a sticker system, where he earns "electronics" time for completing his math, reading, writing, exercise, etc. each day. It is not so explicit as to say, do xx pg in xx book..but he knows that for instance he only has to do one page of HW/oTears per day. I don't know that having a more explicit list would be a big draw for his personality. It totally is for mine, as I am a list crosser-offer. I will try it, but in other lists that I have done, I didn't see any increased motivation.

Part of our problem seems to be that over the summer I think he developed a habit of electronics over-use. I justified it as being an only kid, and having a DH who has been gone for the summer, I needed more down-time, and I let Tv/internet use get out of control. He is now really kicking back about not having the same amount as he was getting only last week. Hopefully we can successfully detox him from that! (I never should have listened to people on this forum that Minecraft might be a game he would enjoy smile In fact, it is Minecraft talk that so frequently interrupts his ability to concentrate on anything else.

HK - That is totally the type of thing my DS would write! And yes, staying out of his face is how I survive, but when it comes to the fact that I need to be in his face, because otherwise his mind would melt into Minecraft, what more can I do?

Does anyone have any idea if a total electronics detox (take them all away) would be a good idea, or should I just let him earn time by getting his school work done?