Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Avoid the B word

Avoid the OTHER b-word, too. Particularly in meetings. wink No, seriously, though. Even in your own thinking about the people who are acting as stumbling blocks in your efforts to advocate. Don't let your brain off its leash, because once you start THINKING those kinds of things, it shows.

Remember to be patient, because you all want the same things. Really. You just disagree about how to go about getting to those goals. You're really on the same team. smile

I am going to disagree with you a bit, HK. I was recently at a board of ed meeting advocating for the needs of all above level learners. This is one remark I got from one of the board members after my opening statement: "Let the little geniuses go somewhere else then. She how well they do in another school where they are no longer the big fishes. We have other children that have greater needs."

I left that meeting thinking that we were definitely not on the same team. I also left feeling so profoundly sad about the state of education in the US. [/i][i]

Last edited by somewhereonearth; 08/17/13 06:07 PM.