"Reading group" time with my DS was basically him reading aloud from a book for the teacher and a couple of other kids... he enjoyed it, sure, but I'm not sure anyone learned much of anything. The books were far below his reading level.

So long as he isn't bored and causing trouble I don't worry much about reading instruction in school. We read a ton at home, together and alone. At night I typically read to him - a book well above his reading level and we do it quite slowly, defining words and discussing what's happening each chapter. He really enjoys it, and I'm pretty sure he's learning more this we way than via school.

Math class is FAR more concerning to me. The only differentiation anyone can seem to do is additional problems... or subbing in 2-digit problems for single digit, things like that. It's not been a major problem, but I do feel like he's lost some of his love of math as a result. I really hope we can get him into the G&T program this year, then we can actually leave the class for appropriate math instruction.

~amy