Horrible. My own story to add: throughout the entire year last year I brought about 100 books to my son's first grade classroom. (I am a master at finding really cheap used books.) Of course, I brought a wide range so that every child would have something to read - including my own child. I spent the entire year thinking that my son was reading the books I had brought to school. Towards the end of the year, I discovered that the teacher kept all books that were below or at grade level. She kept NONE of the above level books. Not one.

Now, the bright side of this is that my son had been taking books from home every day in his backpack to school. So, he WAS getting access to above level books. But I was disgusted when I found out that the teacher hadn't kept any of the above level books.

Of course this is the same teacher, when asked what my son should do during first grade math time, when he was already working on and mastering third grade math, she replied that he could just do the first grade math over again with the class so that he "really understood" all the concepts.