Originally Posted by polarbear
Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
Apparently her reading group, which was the highest group in the class, only 'read' as a group with the teacher a few times all year. So I'm guessing ...

My first thought when I read this is perhaps even more cynical - are you sure the other groups are actually getting any more of the teacher's time?

True, I'm only guessing here but based on the fact that the teacher flat out refused to differentiate in math I'm not really surprised. I just had no idea it was the same lack of differentiation for reading.

The teacher has only been teaching in the classroom for a few years. Prior to this she was a reading recovery teacher so reading is her specialty, her love, her passion... etc... I had high hopes at the beginning of the school year that she would take my dd's current (at that time) reading ability and stretch her. I realize that my dd can read but there is more to reading than just reading the text, imo. There were things she could have improved upon or worked on instead of memorizing fact families.

And I did ask dd if she was certain that her reading group got less time with the teacher and she was pretty sure about it. They did reading groups in kindergarten and she said it wasn't like that where they rotated each time.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 08/14/13 10:14 AM.