Originally Posted by ultramarina
I'm just not sure this statement would have bothered me much. What would bother me re reading would be if my child had to work with a group that was a lot lower than her ability level, was told she had to read books much lower than she was capable of, or had to do a ton of phonics worksheets when she was way past that.

I actually agree, but I wonder if my perspective might be warped. By school age, neither of my kids has needed to read aloud to anyone or be actively taught reading. I'm not sure, though, how many classes of first graders have whole reading groups in this category.

To me, once you can read, you can read -- as long as they give you some decent books to read, I wouldn't worry about "instruction". My first grade teacher knew I could read, and she got books from the other classes for me, and while I remember being in the highest reading group, I can't recall anything that we might have done there. It would have bothered me (and my mother) if they had insisted that I read Dick and Jane. It never bothered me to do worksheets of any sort, though some probably should have, and it never bothered me to be the one who read to the class.