Originally Posted by Nautigal
His behavior absolutely can be caused by being bored in class. If you were forced to sit in a first grade class and do their work, you would likely act the same way. The only thing that would stop you is being old enough to know that it's not acceptable behavior -- but even if you held it in all day, you would let it out when you got home.

If you can get them to accelerate him, or skip him, you may find that his behavior improves when he is in a class with older kids.

Have you tried the Iowa acceleration assessment to see how he shapes up on that? It measures all the different factors that make for a successful grade skip.

When he was younger I looked into testing and found that it isn't very accurate until they are older, and I wondered how much could be from exposure. I have never pushed him, it is all child driven, but we are also very curious adults who are always learning and reading, wondering and asking questions. Not being around "normal" children I thought most of his behavior was normal until his teacher told me otherwise. So it wasn't until this summer when I found out we were not going to be able to homeschool that I realized that we had to get him tested.

We are working with the school district to get him the washington state CoGAT test, and trying to get scheduled private Wechsler Intelligence Scale testing. I hadn't heard of the Iowa acceleration assessment, I will have to look into that one. This has been an education for me in what might work for kids, I was hesitant to accelerate him due to his behavior but it sounds like I could have been looking at it backwards all along. Maybe acceleration would help the behavior.

Thank you for your suggestions!