Ladies and gents, I need your help please! I'm wiped out and need some veteran parenting advice on new activities I can introduce to DS.

Over the last month, my sweet DS20mo has morphed from tornado into typhoon. He's all over symbolic representation like white on rice...numbers, phonetic decoding, IDing vehicle makes and models by decal...and analogies. Everything is an analogy. For example, "I want to hang upside down from ceiling and spin like pile driver."

Thankfully, he's self hot-housing so I can sit idly by and goggle at him occasionally while I take a mental vacation to Kathmandu for 2 minutes. (I was gently called out on this yesterday by DS with a, "what's on your mind?") For instance, he's invented a game wherein he uses a toy hammer to hit the letters on book covers to sound out words phonetically in sequence. But Mummy. Must. Watch!! Or else...doom, terror, freak out!

He's that exhausting type who, once he masters something, tosses it aside and checks it off his list forever. He also is a performer and loves to probe into new subject matter with Mummy at his side to answer his every request. Interest-wise, there's no interest whatsoever in physical interlocking puzzles--he gets furious at interlocking pieces that he can't manoeuvre, though he enjoys some on the iPad/laptop.

He's obsessed with garbage trucks, so I'm trying to swing a visit to a local sanitation facility. We also hit the park and paint daily, the library at least once each week, stop to watch local comstruction most days, and visit a local museum at least weekly. He has a few young friends his age, but he grows weary of them quickly. I'm trying to broaden his horizons past garbage trucks for my own sanity (he even talks at length in his sleep about them) and have noticed he's quite interested in our Brio trains again, but more suggestions for self-entertainment options are welcome.

Thanks so much.

What is to give light must endure burning.