My DS6 had been having trouble "controlling" his emotions at school. His teacher, Mrs F, feels he cries too much from nothing. He has cried three times in six months. I think that is pretty normal. Yesterday, he cried because he didn't want to read aloud to her, because he didn't want to talk. He broke down and couldn't stop crying. The thing that bothers me is that he loves to read to his tutor, his teacher from last year, and at home- it's just Mrs F that he hates reading to. I am also aware of her being very critical, though, she is not mean; she is just very picky, and I know she often tells my son how to talk, eg. "Talk louder and clearer. Sit up straight and hold your head up"...etc. He really does not like her, but I don't think he knows what that emotion is because he's never not liked someone before. And you should see how excited he is when the "fun" substitute teacher is there.

I have seen how she is with other kids crying and she is incredibly cold, and tries to use shaming: "Stop crying now, everyone is looking at you". She never asks if the child is okay. (Many reasons why I don't like her is because she doesn't think my son is gifted; lies about telling the principal that she feels he has no empathy or social ability; mocks the idea of my son excelling at his tutor lessons; tells me he is no more intelligent than any other kid in her class because all the grade one kids can do the grade one work, and sometimes DS doesn't want to do it; he isn't sociable because he doesn't get along with every kid in his class; and tells me in front of my son that he has "melt downs")

Anyway, my son doesn't want to go to school now. Well, he actually wants to change schools. So, how do I teach him to put up with her? Especially when I am having trouble putting up with her! I don't want to harden him up for the world, but I don't want him to run away from an insufferable, incompetent, unsympathetic teacher...