Originally Posted by evelyn
Anyone else have a kid who's so interested in the inside of his or her head that it's hard to RELIABLY do the mundane things of every day life and school? (On the school front, I realize that bumping up the stimulation level might help--but there will still be things he has to do that do not compete favorably with whatever he's thinking about.)

Yup yup yup, x 1,000. Fyi mine (8 also) has a diagnosis of ADHD Combined type, which the psychologist characterized as severe. Btw, he also has remarkable powers of concentration... if he's interested, or if the work/task is challenging enough to engage him. Otherwise... he's a space cadet. lol.

Both my kids (DD has no diagnosis) have significant concentration problems when they are not challenged. Yesterday DD10 was complaining about how hard it is to concentrate because the work is too easy. sigh. DS8, meanwhile, needs interest, challenge or task-specific motivation or he won't even try.

Fyi, I haven't medicated DS8 yet... not sure if I will. There's such a fine behavioural line between gifted vs ADHD vs visual-spatial that it can be hard to differentiate. He seems to have quite a healthy temperament: he's happy, resilient, confident and non-aggressive and I don't want to tamper with that. He can be very intense, but not as "darkly" so as DD can be (she's my drama queen wink ) Anyway... I digress. lol

Last edited by CCN; 06/20/13 09:20 AM.