OldDad, I agree that most people encounter this issue. It's a matter of degree--and I would say my son has a much harder time than most people (even most--or at least many--extremely bright people) on this front. And I think you are right on target about what would help, although some things don't hold a lot of potential for reframing/tweaking to pursue a passion.

Doubtful--glad you are seeing a change in your daughter. FWIW, it has gotten somewhat better for my son over time, presumably from increased maturity, but it is simultaneously becoming a larger and larger issue in school.

epoh--Thanks--and yes, I know. Am working on the hypothesis that ADD is not the explanation (though he certainly shares some attributes with those who have ADD) based on various testing results.

Howler--I love your idea, but how does your daughter respond when you give her pop quizzes? I can totally see my son saying, "that is not what I am thinking about right now." And then I'm in the position of explaining to him why it matters to be thinking about that right now. Which is part of the point of my question.

KnittingMama--Yes, same here. I think it is very difficult for DS to control his brain. He can buckle down, but it seems a LOT harder for him to do than for his peers. Undoubtedly, the inside of his head is especially fascinating, but he also seems very weak on this particular skill and I would like to help him strengthen it!