My DS8 has enormous powers of concentration when he is interested in something and erratic ability to concentrate otherwise. The resulting issues range from getting ready for school/bed in a timely manner (though he can do that with no problem when he sets his mind to it), completing school tasks, coming promptly when called, and so on. He tends to get distracted by whatever he's thinking about.

He does not seem to have ADD and is perfectly capable of concentrating on the task at hand when he is motivated enough (he has no trouble being on his own for violin practice, for example--motivated by video game time)--but we can't cook up motivations for the many things that need to happen in his every day life. We need to help him both see the BENEFIT/VALUE of pulling himself out of his interesting thoughts and increase his ABILITY to do so.

I am trying to figure out things to do over the summer that might strengthen his skills on this front so he is in better shape when he goes back to school. Would rather incorporate it into our normal life than give him extra tasks.

Anyone else have a kid who's so interested in the inside of his or her head that it's hard to RELIABLY do the mundane things of every day life and school? (On the school front, I realize that bumping up the stimulation level might help--but there will still be things he has to do that do not compete favorably with whatever he's thinking about.)

Last edited by evelyn; 06/18/13 09:07 AM.