I worked as an economic researcher at a major think tank before a switching into management (strategy) consulting. I'm now a stay-at-home parent pursuing a different grad degree for fun.

The think tank was wonderful when I was allowed to chase down growth opportunities, but the drudgery of my day-to-day work necessitated a change. The structure was flat and there was little opportunity for advancement over the next 5-10 years. When I left, I had automated what was once a full work day into 20 minutes of effort. I met some wonderful, brilliant people there and have remained friends with about a dozen of my former colleagues. I would consider starting a competing organization. Average satisfaction: 7/10.

Management consulting is a fast-paced career, and I felt excited to work because every day involved about 50% learning. However, politics trumps expertise with clients, and often (almost always) our mandate is to be a mouthpiece for management. What is billed as a creative role is really white collar gofering. I also don't relish the aggressive travel schedule, which is quite incompatible with actually knowing your children. It's great for singles or divorcees, of which there are ultimately many. Average satisfaction: 6/10.

My current project is exploring the viability of founding a gifted elementary school for my son. Our gifted programming doesn't begin until 4th grade locally, which is unacceptable. With only 3 years to go until kindergarten, I'm climbing the learning curve. Although it's financially risky and obviously pays considerably below what I'd otherwise earn, it's a short-term project and exciting to think that this work could potentially directly benefit DS! Average satisfaction: 8.5/10.

What is to give light must endure burning.