Okay, I thought you would say that and I already told my daughter that there would be people on this board who would disagree with her advice. My husband has lawyers working for him, definitely not making enough money to make all the hard work and student loans worth it. My husband had to compete with a lawyer for the management job he has now. My husband with his management degree, experience, and the right social connections got the job. His experience as an office manager for a social service agency which required a lot of legal knowledge and the ability to work with lawyers and to argue effectively for positive changes won him a lot of respect from coworkers and administrators. He has often been mistaken for a lawyer because he has the same acting ability that my son has but has never taken acting classes. If he is talking to a lawyer he talks like a lawyer. If he is talking to a farmer, he talks like a farmer. If he is talking to a biker, he talks just like a biker. People like him because they think he is just like them and he is able to get information from them that other people can't get and he knows how to best use that information to come up with really good ideas and then he has the ability to sell those ideas to his supervisor. He is a problem solver and he can work under pressure, even with pain. He is a Vietnam vet and a cancer survivor but looks and acts younger than he is. He is a good role model for our son because he didn't let pain stop him. He took very little time off work when he went through cancer treatment.

I think my son has a lot of his dad's personality traits and would do well with a more versatile degree like management or information technology. His brother and a cousin are IT people, but I want my son to be around more people and have more friends. I think legal knowledge would be a big plus but I wonder if he could learn some of this on his own, maybe online. Does anyone know of any good online resources? He seems to be interested in law, especially copyright law and constitutional law (also very interested in politics) and often reads law related articles to me that he found interesting, but I haven't really looked into any of this because of the medical issues. We are hoping that after he recovers from the scoliosis surgery in June that he will be able to do a lot more than he has been able to do this last year. He will probably be in a lot of pain for at least four weeks and full recovery will take a year. He won't be able to push himself physically, but I think he can mentally if he gets past the pain issues.

I think it is common for lawyers and people who work with social service agencies of any kind to become cynical and my husband did pick up that same cynicism. I don't want that for my son. He is already cynical enough.

We need to think positive, even as we deal with all life's tornados.